“Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life." - Jack Kerouac


Thursday, December 13, 2012

LIMA, PERU
O'Hare Airport
   
    Hola mis amigas y mis amigos!!!!!
    OK folks, the time has finally come for me to brush the dust off of my passport, cross my fingers, and head to South America. First stop... Lima, Peru. Lucky for me my very dear friend Aesha, who just so happens to be quite the little Spanish speaking diva, will be accompanying me on this leg of the journey.
     After only one day abroad I quickly realized how valuable she is as a travel companion. She has already served many muy importante purposes: best friend and confidante, finder of lost items (i.e, passport, credit card, kindle, beauty supply store so I can dye my hair three, yes, three times in less than 24 hours; they don't seem to understand the whole hair lightening process here...), translator for my ghastly attempts at Spanish and voice of reason, ...and its only day two!!!!
   Day One
   After a dreadful yet somehow tolerable twenty-two hour journey we arrived groggy and disoriented in a very bustling Lima. I have heard many a horror story about the airport in Lima and felt it would be best to schedule an airport pickup from our hostel. We were exhausted (maybe her more than I...see right. haha) but we made it!
Best Ceviche ever.
Once we were settled in to our hostel my growling stomach combined with my audacious spirit sent me out to explore our surroundings. Peru is known for its' superb ceviche and I was on a quest to find just that.  Ceviche is one of my all time favorite dishes and I didn't have to venture very far to have the best damn ceviche I've ever had. I savored every last bite and am still dreaming of of it at this very moment. Ahhhh... Delicioso!!!
      We stayed in Miraflores, the most affluent neighborhood in Lima. Here lies a cornucopia of palate pleasing restaurants and shops and the bountiful markets are brimming with local handicrafts, artwork, and a variety of Peruvian trinkets. As we lazily strolled along the tree-lined streets practicing our Spanish we were mesmerized by the unique style and characteristics of Peruvian Architecture.
El Torro Rojo!!
Ekeko...Peruvian/Bolivian God of abundance
      Lima was lovely jumping off point for our South American journey and we enjoyed our very short time here. The owner of Ekeko Hostel where we stayed was incredibly friendly and helpful and his hostel was clean, cozy, and close to everything. It was so nice to stay in a quiet and comfortable place our first few nights so far away from home. Thank you Christian and Ekeko Hostel for a lovely stay in Lima!
Stay close...next blog tomorrow. Sandboarding in Haucachina...Yup, Awesome.
Hasta Manana!!
-Samantha "Brasilia Loca" and Aesha Rosa "Tigra"

1 comment:

  1. YAAY!!! Looks amazing!!! Can't wait to see more!! More more more!!!

    ReplyDelete