“Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life." - Jack Kerouac


Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Makalawena Beach, Big Island, Hawaii

Spending time with my best friend in one of the most beautiful places on the planet seemed like the perfect way to end my short yet rewarding trip to the Big Island. Makalawena Beach has been a must-do every time I visit the Big Island. It is a local favorite and due to it's long hike down to the beach it seems to still retain it's "hidden gem" magical status.









The first step is traversing the long dirt, pot hole laden road down to the parking area, but this is where the real adventure begins. The hike to Makelwena is still about 1.5 miles over sharp lava rock and almost desert like terrain. As the beads of sweat slowly trickled down my face my senses started to become overwhelmed with memories of the true beauty that I knew awaited us. The reward of this hike is an almost completely secluded, pristine picturesque beach with lava pools to bathe in and warm tranquil waves lapping at your feet.

And, to top it off there is a spectacular brackish oasis pond as well with crystal clear fresh water. I have been to over 50 countries and countless beaches all over the globe, but Makalawena has always been my favorite. It truly is perfect in every way.  I miss it already!
I have been making the trek across the Pacific to the Big Island for over 10 years and her exquisite beauty continues to blow me away every time. I always leave wanting more, already planning my next visit to the wondrous island paradise. There is always something new to explore, a unique hike to be taken, a secret snorkel adventure around the corner, volcano tubes to investigate, Manta Rays to swim with, and of course, quality time with friends. I am so incredibly grateful to Sarah, Aesha, and Aesha's parents (Thanks for everything Irene and Alan) for taking such good care of me during my visit. It truly means the world to me to have such great friends.
And my little Arrow... . He may quite possibly be the sweetest little soul that I have ever encountered.
It was time to pack up my suitcases and head all the way to...MAUI!!! That's right! off to Maui I went. I had a Jeep to rent and a beautiful woman to pick up at the airport. Deputy Honey was meeting me in Maui and we had all kinds of adventures planned. Time to switch gears and hit the road again!

No comments:

Post a Comment